my love ... Josh Smith

my love ... Josh Smith

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Practicing Universal Loving Kindness

Wow. I really loved the following practice.... close eyes and for a minute or two rest in the ease of your mind and body, repeat the following phrases :
May all individuals gain freedom from suffering
May all individuals find sustained health, happiness, and wholeness
May I assist all individuals in gaining freedom from suffering
May I assist all individuals in finding health, happiness and wholeness

I think this mini exercise is imperative for everyone, it brings a sense of gratitude towards life and relationships. To remind ourselves, not to be selfish and think about others around us, to send prayer, send good energy out to the universe to empower the ones who need the help and the hope to live a better and healthy life.

What i have discovered through the assessments, was that I don't take inventory enough to see what is lacking in my life. There is not one particular aspect in my life that doesn't need attention- everything from my psycho spiritual, biological, interpersonal, or worldly could use some TLC. When I shift my focus to what area in my life is ready for growth and development, this comes a lot easier, Its taking more action in my life to create better opportunities and seizing them when i have the chance. I tend to doubt myself because I have the concern for myself and how I might look. I am aware of this and I am working on being more confident and not think that I am not worthy enough. I am STRONG and SMART and I can accomplish anything that i put my mind and heart into.
Exercises that I have thought about that can help through my journey of self love and confidence to reach goals and my full potential in life, is to write down my dreams, goals and desires out on post notes and hang them around my house as a constant reminder that YES I CAN. I think another exercise that could be just as positive is to just do things once a day that I fear so i build my confidence day by day, for example taking a dance class or going to a movie solo.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Jess,

    I enjoyed reading your blog. The meditation thought me that I first have to make myself happy because I can help somebody else happy with their life. I am happy with my life but when something happen in my life that puts stress on me it cause my emotions to be all over the place. I have to learn to control my emotions. I have decided that I will read my Bible more, pray more and think positive even if the devil bring stress into my life. I think you have some good ideas to help you with your journey. We will make it. Like you stated we are strong people, that can survive anything:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. I dont think I have ever really sat down and thought about what was missing in my life. Well maybe. I think I may have done it planning for a child. So glad we planned. :) I suppose when things are missing we just replace those needs with something else and don't take the time to actually fix what's wrong. It may actually be depressing to think of what's missing in your life. However I suppose you will find joy filling those aspects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are great suggestions, I was thinking the same thing about post it notes, sometimes I do that, "put the note right next to my bed so when I get up I see it. There are many quotes and sayings I learned in class that I would like to frame and hang up to remind me everyday. I have seen movies by myself it is empowering....do it, and enjoy it! I wonder if you don't feel like anything is missing your blind or fulfilled, I hope for me it's the latter. I mean I would love to have a nice house for my family and to pay off our debt, and make more money, but I don't think that's what we are talking about, so those things aside, I have 4 children I'm blessed to have, a great family, and the best husband who is a super father and supportive of me. I feel full I'm just hoping for us all to make it finally, and to help others along the way to make it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jess - Nice post! I appreciate your self-reflection and candor in the areas where you want to focus your energy for development.

    In the exercise you list--I believe the hardest part (as I mentioned in class) is to consider yourself as someone who also needs help. I know that it is easy to focus on others as a means of being of service...but in my own case, I also know that I can sometimes "hide" myself through service to others and ignore the healing and development that I need personally.

    Best wishes in your journey!

    David

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Jessica,
    I believe that this exercise gave you a lot of insight. I can tell with your brief lifes journey that we know of that you are strong and resiliant. You can be confident. The post it note strategy is great. I am doing that now to help my son to read and learn familiar words. I hope my neat freak husband can handle it. I believe you just have to hold your head up high, and these mini exercises are the best. We have time and it will bring out the best in us which is all that counts, no matter what anyone thinks.
    Gina Costello

    ReplyDelete